Upcoming Tour Dates:
March 26, 2018 – April 3, 2018
Food First is partnering with Organic Growers School and Altruvistas to offer a nine-day tour of Cuba with a focus on the country’s organic and sustainable agriculture practices. The Organic Growers School provides practical and affordable organic education in the Southern Appalachians, building a vibrant food & farming community by boosting the success of organic home growers and farmers in their region.
On this trip, you will:
Learn about Cuba’s transition to agroecological farming practices and the national policies that prioritize organic farming and the remediation of hunger from farmers and food activists around the country.
Connect with farmers, consumers, activists, NGOs, policymakers, and experts working to transform the global food system.
Acquire the knowledge and strategies to create just, sustainable, local, and healthy food systems in your own communities.
When: Monday, March 26 to Tuesday, April 3, 2018.
Where: Beginning in Havana, Cuba and traveling to Pinar del Rio and Artemisa provinces. Read the full trip itinerary here!
Who: You! We want community members who are passionate and involved in the food and farming community. We’re so excited to share this experience with you.
Cost: $2,900 for the entire 9-day trip. Read about what that covers on the FAQ page. Pay in full or installments.
This tour could not be praised enough. The dedication of the urban gardeners and their evolving expertise was an inspiration, the discussions with farmers and cooperative leaders were outstanding, and the artist’s community outreach and farming projects were fabulous to share. – Jeanne Koopman, 2012 Cuba Tour participant
- All in-country transportation during the tour including airport transfer to and from Havana airport
- Shared rooms in casas particulares (the Cuban equivalent of AirBNBs) for all of the nights on the tour. Private rooms can be arranged at an additional cost.
- 2 meals per day, plus bottled water to refill your water bottles
- OFAC approved People to People License provided by Altruvistas
- Food First trip leader and Organic Growers School representative
- Local guides, drivers, guest speaker honorarium
- Translation of all program activities into English
- Preparatory reading materials (Cuba Tour Reader) and Tour Orientation Packet
- All scheduled program activities, presentations and workshops
Price will NOT include: Airfare to Cuba, airport taxes, tourist visa, and mandatory Cuban health insurance. Most commercial airlines include taxes and health insurance in the cost of your ticket. Please double check with your airline. Visas are purchased through your airline and range from $50-$100.
Contact Sera, Farmer Programs Associate for Organic Growers School
Contact Alyshia Silva, Director of Development for Food First