Thank you for your interest in joining the Food First team as a volunteer translator. Food First translators play an important role in making critical analysis of the food system available to broad audiences in the global North and South. Food First books have been translated into more than 20 languages and have been used in more than 400 US universities.
We are currently seeking translators who can translate from English to Spanish, French and Portuguese. Food First’s translation needs vary from longer projects (such as the translation of a book or book chapter) to short projects that need to be translated quickly (such as a blog post, press release or action alert). Food First translations are coordinated and supervised by Food First fellow and Translation Coordinator Leonor Hurtado, who contacts translators when projects arise. As a volunteer translator, you may accept or decline a project based on your availability.
- A strong interest in Food First’s issue areas and a commitment to Food First’s mission of ending the injustices that cause hunger. You must have some familiarity, in both English and your translation language, with vocabulary related to food, agriculture, development and social justice.
- Proficiency in and access to Microsoft Word
- You must be deadline-oriented and adhere to the translation schedule agreed upon with the Translation Coordinator
- You agree that all translation work becomes the property in perpetuity of Food First/Institute for Food and Development Policy
- Contribute to the global movement for food sovereignty by providing a service that is indispensable for global awareness-raising and movement building
- Gain valuable translation experience and published writing samples
- If you have the opportunity to receive college credit for translation, Food First is happy to do whatever possible to help you meet your requirements
- Food First is willing to provide a reference or letter of recommendation based upon our interaction with you
To apply, please contact Leonor at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Food First Translator Application” and include the following information in your email:
- A brief explanation of why you wish to become a Food First translator
- A resume that includes your language proficiency in English and the language(s) you wish to translate into (as a word or PDF attachment)
- A 1-2 page sample of your translation work in both the original English and your Spanish, French or Portuguese translation (as a word or PDF attachment)
In 2015 we worked with four translation groups: English-French, English-Portuguese, English-Spanish, and Spanish-English. These translation groups have allowed us to come together and express our solidarity with the struggles of social justice movements engaged in transforming the food system and building a better world. We owe a debt of gratitude to each and every translator who has helped us, some of whom have allowed us to share their names:
María de los Angeles Rivera